Capsize Your Boat ~ Bailing and Flotation

An all too likely event can be controlled with the right knowledge and gear
Hugh Horton, Contributing Editor, Harrison Township, Michigan 

After I gybed back to the swamped sailing canoe at the Killbear Canoe Rendezvous in September ‘05, I thought of Roger Taylor’s series about seamanship. The swimming sailor’s tube style pump wasn’t getting it done. Wavelets instantly refilled what dozens of pump strokes had squirted out.
I sailed up, held her against my boat, Walela, and used Walela’s bailer. In two dozen scoopfuls, she was left with a quart or so under the floorboards, along her ribs and lapstrake planking. Wind was offshore, and I drifted a couple boat lengths away. Her canoeist, a young man, tried again to climb in over the stern. But the boat was still too unstable, so I came back and steadied her. Just the afternoon before he’d gone over in a lighter, onshore breeze. But Lake Huron was warm, and he swam her in. Read More

No comments:

Post a Comment